Tuesday 22 December 2015

Israeli deputy prime minister resigns over sexual harassment claims


Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Silvan Shalom resigned Sunday over accusations from several women that he sexually molested them.

The 57 year old said in a statement,while maintaining his innocence ..


I have had enough of the distress and I hope to protect my mother, wife and five children from further scandal. “My family stands behind me, but it is no longer worth the cost"

Shalom a leading member of the ruling right-wing Likud party , had previously served as foreign and finance minister.

Shalom is married to journalist Judy Nir-Moses, a member of one of Israel’s most prominent families.

Israeli newspaper Haaretz had reported about accusations from a former colleague who accused Shalom of attempting to touch her inappropriately. She chose not to go to police.

After the accusations became public, other women stepped forward with similar allegations.

No comments:

Post a Comment